Sunday, April 5, 2009

Boy Scout Kayak






















I am in the process of building a wood/canvas Kayak with my older Boy Scouts. We are going on a High Adventure activity in June to Hume Lake in Sequoia National Park. We have been workingn on it since late January. This past week, Tyler, Nate, Zach, Scott and I put the first strakes on. All of the strakes are not on and the frame is almost all complete. Next step is to build a plywood floor, seat cusion and seat back, paint the frame and then cover it in canvas. Last step is to paint the canvas and then take it for a test drive. I just wonder which boy will win the coin toss as to who takes it for the first burn around the lake.












Before anyone thinks I crafty with wood and such, this whole thing was built off of a set of plans I ordered online and constructed with materials from Lowes and basic handtools. It is really quite easy once you get going. I was a little intimidated by the plans, but the plans turned out to be very well made.

3 comments:

Ty said...

That is really cool! I would have loved that as a scout. Venturing is great for the older guys--nice to be able to do this kind of stuff...

Unknown said...

Awesome kayaks, My dad built one many years ago and I can not find plans for one like yours. Can you send me the link to the place where you purchased the plans?
Ben

John Price said...

Hi - someone built one of these for my family when I was young, and I have been searching for this specific kayak plan. Can you send me the URL for the plans you used for this? Thanks so much! PS - I'm a Scout leader in Cary NC (Troop 152)